Sunday, February 15, 2009

Unemployment Day Eight - "It's Just a Nasty Cold...Pass the Vitamin C"

Best Valentine’s Day ever. Christine and I are not Valentinsey people. We're more of the daily basis type. She's been home a little over 24 hours while she's in between producing gigs in warmer climates. Poor girl had to spend a week in Scottsdale and an upcoming week in Orlando. Last night we had a little picnic in the living room in front of the fireplace. I cooked dinner. Perfect.

Prior to that, I read an interesting headline on cnn.com. The headline read, “Empty Offices a Sign of Cold Season.” By that reasoning I can deduce that it was simply a nasty virus that wiped out my former department. Let's see. Maybe I'll dig a little deeper.

Ok, I'm finished digging and I've decided I'm going to call out cnn.com on this one. Shall we play a game of hangman to see if you can guess what I’m thinking might be another reason for the empty offices?

Is it because spring is in the air and everyone went outside? No. Is it because Larry King is having Capt Sully as a guest tonight? No. Is it really the Common Cold? Sorry cnn.com, that's not it. Hmm. What could it be? Maybe it’s just a little too on-the-nose to say, “Empty Offices a Sign The Economy Needs a Defibrillator.”

Maybe the problem has actually been exacerbated by journalism like this. For anyone reading this who doesn't know me, I need to make it clear that I'm not a pessimist by any stretch. I believe in the First Amendment. I truly believe in journalism. Whole journalism. By that I mean, of course, fully researched and rounded out stories. I felt like I needed to put a little light on this story because a) it's so absurd that it's funny and b) to caution anyone who might need it, that not everything we read on the Internet, even respected sites, is healthy...except for me. You can trust me me completely even though I am on the Internet.

Now, I get a few more hours with my wife before she heads to Orland.

"Hey honey, guess what? I didn't get laid off. It's just a nasty cold...pass the vitamin C."

No comments:

Post a Comment