Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Unemployment Day Four-"The Red Badge of Unemployment"

First, I’d like to take a minute to say thank you to everyone who has offered their kind words and support about the whole job thing. Whether you took the time to contact me, or totally wimped out and got in touch through Christine, thank you. I truly have the best friends and family in the world.

Some of you have even pointed out potential job openings, or have offered helpful avenues to pursue. And, for that you get a special thanks…and a patch. An iron-on patch with a big eagle carrying a job in its talons. You can iron it on to your jean jacket, or shop shirt as a symbol. This will be your badge of honor dedicated to your job-catching abilities.

I, however am wearing a different kind of badge. Ever have your fly down for while and wonder, “What the heck are all these people looking at?” It might even take a little while before you realize what’s going on and correct the problem. Well, that’s what unemployment feels like to a guy saddled with both Catholic AND Lutheran guilt. If you didn’t go to work today you naturally assume that everyone can see it written all over you. You feel like your barn door is hanging wide open for the world to see.

Yesterday, I was having lunch with my sister-in-law at Psycho Suzie’s Motor Lodge. They have something on the menu called the Workman’s Special. I cracked wise and asked if we still qualified for the special if we were unemployed. My sister-in-law can back me up on this, but I swear to heaven that he paused for the briefest of moments before smiling and saying that we could still order it (it's delicious, by the way).

I went for a walk around the lake today and had the nagging feeling that people could tell I had no income to speak of…until I remembered that it was 1:00 in the afternoon on a weekday and they weren’t working.

I know it’s just my imagination and I’m sure that me trying to poke fun at it makes it seem like I’m making way too much of the psychology of the experience. But, I’m sure the other job seekers out there will agree that there are those moments where you feel like your zipper is down.

I say, wear it with pride. Throw your chin in the air and walk confidently into that next job interview, to the grocery store or the pawn shop to hock that dreamy Fender Stratacaster in order to make your rent.

Go for it. Your fly is fine. You’re just wearing the Red Badge of Unemployment.

1 comment:

  1. I had the same feeling when it happened to me but then you realize you need to buck up and carry on - things will work out :) Hope the search is going well...

    ReplyDelete