Monday, February 9, 2009

Unemployment Day Two - "On the Other Hand..."

Whew! Talked to Mom this evening and broke the job news to her. Frankly, I was more worried about how Mom and Christine would handle it than I was about me. But, they’re both graceful and optimistic at heart, so that helps.

On to the journal. I've noticed myself saying things like, “On the other hand” over the last couple of days.

I never intended my former position to be a permanent gig. On the other hand, I certainly wish I could have left on my terms.

I’m going to miss a number of the people there. On the other hand, I have assurances I’ll be invited to each and every happy hour.

I’m eternally grateful for Christine. She’s the best thing that’s ever happened to me. I wish she were here, rather than traveling for work. On the other hand, she’s traveling FOR WORK (do well and keep that income rolling, Babe). Besides, I have the house to myself and I’ve already made a dent in the re-organization of certain rooms. As a matter of fact, I'm writing this in my newly renovated office and I'm kind of enjoying the weird February rain on the window next to me.

It’s selfishly comforting to know that there are so many other people who have experienced a job cut like this. We’re all in it together in some sense. On the other hand, I feel for them and now we’ll all be fighting over the same jobs. For the record, I’m a lover not a fighter so this doesn’t bode well for me or the taxpayer who will be funding my unemployment. Sorry to all you folks pulling your weight out there. Drinks are on me when I can afford it.

I’m glad we live in a country that has instituted these little things called unemployment benefits. On the other hand, I’ve never been good with handouts.

I'm optimistic about the Obama stimulus package. On the other hand, I don't want my kids paying for anything they never signed up for...kind of like we've all be doing for...never mind.

I thought this topic would be a good idea for a blog. On the other hand, I feel like it's coming across like a new-age Andy Rooney rant.

Back to the unemployment benefits. This leads me to a goal that I’ve set for myself. Keep in mind I’m not really good at the whole reality thing when it comes to goals (some long-standing goals are; win the Pulitzer, win an Academy Award, eat a whole bag of Earl's Cheezy Puffs in one sitting, that sort of thing). But, I’m eligible for benefits in two weeks. Christine also returns from her shoot in two weeks. My goal is to land some form of significant income by the time she gets back, and before I have to go for unemployment.

I know, people who have been searching for a while without any luck are probably shaking their heads. Or chuckling at me. Two weeks? Unreasonable? Maybe.

On the other hand…

No comments:

Post a Comment